Union of Bank employees have filed a petition against Aadhaar Related services including setting up enrollment center in the Supreme Court. Bank Union has stated in their petition that they do not have the resources to provide Aadhaar related services from the bank branches.
Earlier the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has made it mandatory for bank’s to start enrollment center at 10 per cent of the branches.
The major concern raised by Banking Unions are :
- They had raised the issue of privacy and lack of security features in the Aadhaar card.
- Rules specified by UIDAI hold the bank officer accountable if anyone commits fraud in making Aadhaar card.
- Interestingly, 49,000 Aadhaar enrollment centers which have been collecting information for Aadhaar have been blacklisted by UIDAI and bank official are asked to relay and authorize the information collected.
- Banks have not been compensated for the extra effort they have had to put in opening Jan Dhan Yojana accounts, demonetization, Atal Pension Yojana and other government insurance schemes.
- Over one lakh employees would be required to be engaged for Aadhaar related work.